A Commitment to People and Community – Corporate Responsibility in Action
UPDATED DECEMBER 1, 2023
Our Overall Commitment
MARCUS & MILLICHAP conducts our business in an ethical manner, operating with integrity in all matters. We expect and will hold our business partners to the same high ethical standards and integrity expectations. We believe businesses should respect internationally recognized human rights. We are committed to doing our part to avoid activities which negatively impact human rights, and to create a positive impact wherever we can do so.
We value the person and their individuality. We believe in the protection and dignity of all persons regardless of color, creed, gender, nationality, gender identity and/or expression, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, place of birth or descent, religion, or veteran or military status. We believe in the protection of minority groups and the advancement of women’s rights, gender rights, and the belief that among many other things, that safe communities, freedom from persecution based on one’s gender or religion, access to education, and the availability of safe drinking water are fundamental human rights.
Although our core business doesn’t directly impact many of these rights, our commitment to human rights calls upon our employees, independent contractors, clients, vendors, business partners, and communities to uphold common values and to transparently report their efforts. We will choose to do business with those partners who are aligned in our values and committed to our efforts. We also believe our partners can further these initiatives, and therefore this policy and these commitments apply across our organization and to our contractors and other vendors.
Respect for All
Our story is one of persistence and service. Our commitment in this document is to apply these principals, values, and our influence to enhance society and effect positive change in the world wherever it can. We recognize the enormity of this challenge and understand change will not occur by our efforts alone.
Growth through opportunity and professional development.
We endeavor to create a workplace that is welcoming, diverse, inclusive, equitable, safe, engaged and respectful of all people. All individuals deserve the opportunity to achieve their personal and professional goals. We provide a variety of training for personal and professional development, and to reinforce our expectations of mutual respect and professionalism in all we do. We do this in part through:
- Marcus & Millichap University;
- Management and Legal Trainings;
- Training on diversity, harassment, discrimination, and the ethical and equitable treatment of others;
- Safety Trainings;
- Various other trainings for both our Employees and Independent Contractors; and
- Having specific and targeted policies that are frequently reviewed to address the ever-changing landscape of workplace issues.
We monitor employee satisfaction, compliance, and engagement through embedded management, human resource, and the legal department. We also offer employees several methods to advise the company of any workplace concerns and compliance issues, including a confidential reporting hotline monitored by the Company’s Compliance Officer.
Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We strive to create a diverse and inclusive organization that welcomes and respects the diversity of our clients, brokers, stockholders, and employees. Our commitment to inclusion embraces the perspectives and contributions of each individual by increasing awareness of and respect for the identities and gifts of each person. We are committed to a workplace free of discrimination based on disability, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other similar basis.
We believe that being a diverse and inclusive organization has made and will make a significant contribution to our continued business success, and will also further our commitment to create a safe and healthy working environment for our team.
For that reason, in 2021, we launched the William A. Millichap Fellowship Program, a comprehensive two-year training and development program designed to prepare participants for rewarding careers in commercial real estate. The Fellowship Program was launched in partnership with the Commercial Real Estate Women Network (“CREW Network”), a premier business network dedicated to transforming the commercial real estate industry by advancing women globally; and Project Destined, a leading social impact platform that provides training in financial literacy, entrepreneurship, and real estate for diverse and underserved communities.
Respect for Our Community and Stakeholders
We endeavor to spread our commitment to human rights to everyone in our sphere of influence, including our board of directors, senior management team, managers, employees, independent contractors, clients, vendors, business partners, and communities.
Enriching our community and embracing Stakeholders.
Our commitment to community, stakeholders, and perpetual improvement is accomplished through:
- Maintaining a Code of Ethics and monitoring compliance.
- Reviewing Environmental, Health & Safety matters at the Board level through a quarterly review of any material EH&S issues by our Audit Committee to help ensure a safe and healthy workplace.
- Regularly reviewing and evaluating policies.
- Enforcing our policies and procedures.
- Monitoring systems that identify, prevent, and account for adverse human rights impacts.
- Promoting economic inclusion and diversity in our selection of independent contractors and services providers, and by partnering with organizations that directly impact and advance economic inclusion and diversity.
- Standing against injustice, inequality, forced or child labor, or other inhumane treatment.
- Supporting worldwide initiatives such as the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and promoting and conforming to the foundational principals of the UN’s Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
- Endeavoring in all things to make a positive, proactive contribution to society and human rights.
- Holding our executives accountable for our commitment to human rights by working with the Board of Director’s Nominating and Governance and Audit Committees, which oversee corporate compliance and policies and practices regarding health and safety, human rights, and environmental, social, and governance issues.
- Communicating the Company’s commitment to those within our sphere of influence (clients, vendors, business partners, and communities) and holding these parties, including our suppliers and vendors, accountable to our commitment in furtherance of diversity and against illegal discrimination or the use of forced or child labor.
- Auditing our organization for its commitment to human rights.
- Reporting on our progress in ensuring these human rights.
- Revising and enhancing this policy statement as is needed going forward to ensure it is both timely and all encompassing.
This statement and the commitments herein reflect a belief in our ability to effect positive change. We commit to remain nimble and self-reflective in our efforts to achieve these goals. The endeavor will be difficult, but we commit ourselves to the journey nonetheless.